Who would have thought just five or ten years ago that the venerable LP might actually outlive the compact disc? For many audiophiles, despite the massive digital hype of the past three decades, the LP remains by a significant margin the finest high fidelity medium ever offered for home use. Its comprehensive catalogue of titles will never be rivaled by the compact disc, which already appears to be on its way to a carefully orchestrated obsolescence.
In spite of the theoretically perfect measurements of even the most basic digital audio format, we at Gryphon simply hear more music when listening to the LP. This is a good thing, considering that the number of LP’s released during the course of the last half a century will never be matched by the CD in its brief lifespan.
In 1994, Gryphon stunned the audiophile community with the Gryphon Orestes phonostage, the world’s first fully balanced MC preamp. Perhaps equally surprised by the fact that we chose to do it all as by how well it was done, the audio press had only the highest praise and admiration for the Orestes, “Utterly convincing. With a delightful firmness and wonderful resolution, it enhanced the performance of one MC cartridge after another. It offers earth-shaking bass and beguiling, airy highs.” (Audio, Germany).
- Selectable MC input impedance from 10 Ohm to 47 kOhm
- Custom impedance load option
- Selectable gain
- MM or MC input
- Extremely low noise
- Dual mono configuration
- Fully balanced circuit, a Gryphon phonostage innovation as early as 1994
- Fully discrete circuit
- Select premium-grade components
- Swiss LEMO connectors
- Zero negative feedback
- Short signal path with no internal wiring
- Available as stand-alone unit or as integrated modules in the Gryphon Pandora and the Gryphon Sonata-Allegro preamplifiers.
- Dual mono external power supplies
- Custom-made C-core transformers
- DC coupling
- AC mains filtering
- Fully sealed double-sided mil spec PC boards
- 75 µm copper traces
- Made in Denmark